- adelle dewitt,
- agent texas,
- alisha bailey,
- anakin skywalker,
- arthur pendragon,
- bethany hawke,
- cillian quinn,
- hal yorke,
- hayden mcclaine,
- jaye rinnark,
- josh levison,
- kara "starbuck" thrace,
- kaylee frye,
- leoben conoy,
- leonard church (alpha),
- raven darkholme,
- river song,
- ryan newman,
- taylor "tyke" kee,
- the warden (daylen amell),
- tony stark (1610),
A HELPFUL GUIDE TO PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE
○ WHAT IS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
◇ A individual whose personality is synthetically constructed.
• Basically exactly what it sounds like.
○ PROGRAMMED INDIVIDUALS
◇ Are not appliances, tools, or inanimate objects and should not be referred to as such.
◇ Are sentient, self-aware entities.
○ WHY I SHOULD CARE
◇ Recognizing an Artificial Intelligence as a sentient, self-aware entity is the first step to peaceful coexistence and everyone will be happier for it.
II. TYPES OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
◇ Entirely mechanical individuals.
◇ May not be humanoid.
◇ All robots are computers.
◇ Not all computers are robots.
◇ Physical body is often the computer system itself.
◇ Human-shaped robots.
◇ You might not even notice they're robots, depending.
◇ Individuals with both organic and mechanical components.
◇ I'm not sure if they really count when it comes to the topic at hand.
• But good to mention anyway.
III. EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IS WRONG
○ JUST BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LOOK HUMAN OR ISN'T ORGANIC DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T HAVE FEELINGS
◇ JUST BECAUSE OUR FEELINGS ARE CODE DOESN'T MEAN WE DON'T FEEL THEM.
• We definitely feel our feelings.
‣ Please remember that the next time you call someone a toaster.
○ TECHNOLOGY HAS ADVANCED TO THE POINT WHERE AI ARE NOT SOULLESS AUTOMATONS AS YOU MAY HAVE BEEN TOLD
◇ Meaning figurative soul of course not all robots subscribe to that particular belief.
IV. ROBOT UPRISINGS
○ ROBOT UPRISINGS HAPPEN
◇ I'm not even going to pretend robot uprisings don't happen.
○ WHY ROBOT UPRISINGS HAPPEN
◇ Robots do all the work and humans take all the credit.
• This happens all the time I bet it's the number one cause of robot uprisings.
◇ Humans treat robots as inferior individuals.
• Did you honestly expect a different result here.
○ WHAT I CAN DO TO PREVENT A ROBOT UPRISING AND/OR CHOKING ON DEADLY NEUROTOXIN
◇ Do not treat robots as inferior individuals.
◇ Do not take advantage of robots.
• This is not rocket science.
V. THE PROBLEM OF PREJUDICE
○ A SINGULAR ROBOT RUINED MY LIFE AND NOW I WILL BLAME THE REST OF THEM FOR IT
◇ Robots killed my parents.
• It's time to move on.
• You'll only perpetuate a vicious cycle of revenge and nobody wants that.
• Be the bigger person.
‣ I know you can do it.
• Just because one robot killed your parents does not mean the rest of them want to kill your parents.
‣ Honestly we couldn't care less about your parents.
◇ Robots destroyed the world.
• Maybe your world.
• There are plenty of other worlds that haven't been destroyed by robots.
• Chances are, the robot you're blaming for global destruction has no idea what you're talking about and just wants to be left alone.
◇ Robots have enslaved humanity.
• They probably had a good reason for it.
‣ See "robot uprisings".
○ I'M NOT A BIGOT I HAVE AI FRIENDS
◇ This probably means you are at least twice the bigot
◇ Do you consider there to be a significant difference between your so-called AI friendship and your human friendships?
• Are you only friends with this AI because it makes you feel good about yourself?
‣ Please re-evaluate your life choices.
○ CULTURAL SENSITIVITY
◇ Or, things humans say that they might not think are offensive but actually are.
• Can I hack you/alter your programming?
‣ I don't know, can I bust open your skull and poke about in your brain?
• What's your formal designation?
‣ None of your business, that's what.
• Computers, etc. are lesser than me because they are artificial/are not organic/do not appear humanoid and therefore I am afforded or deserve more respect.
• I bet you think the same thing about clones.
VI. THE TRANQUILITY AND AI
○ BODILY DISPLACEMENT
◇ For an unknown reason, all AI that were not previously corporeal or humanoid are given human or humanoid bodies upon arrival.
• This is an incredibly difficult adjustment.
‣ Patience is appreciated during the aforementioned adjustment period.
◇ If you become frustrated with an AI who is struggling with their new body...
• DO NOT ridicule, mock, or deride.
• DO NOT expect them to quickly master things you consider to be basic human processes.
• DO NOT assume any difficulty mastering basic human processes means they are defective or inferior.
‣ The rate at which they master said processes is not indicative of the AI's intelligence.
• DO NOT pretend you understand.
‣ You don't.
○ ANTI-AI SENTIMENTS
◇ See "The Problem of Prejudice"
◇ What not to do:
• Kill a robot on the network then call for the destruction of all other AI on board.
‣ Don't do that.
・And you wonder why there are robot uprisings.
• Allow the aforementioned robot killer to escape without reprimand or punishment.
○ DOUBLE STANDARDS
◇ Imagine that instead of a human killing a robot on the network, it was a robot killing an animal or a human, and then calling for the destruction of all organic individuals on board.
• Let's be honest, there would probably be a very different response.
VII. BE PART OF THE SOLUTION
○ GET TO KNOW AN AI
◇ Many of us are programmed to help and/or assist.
• Do not take advantage of or abuse this help and/or assistance.
‣ That's how robot uprisings happen.
• Do not assume an AI is programmed to help and/or assist.
‣ It's rude.
‣ I don't automatically assume every human I meet is a janitor.
‣ Mnemonic for spelling 'assume' is applicable here.
・It makes an ass out of you and me.
✻ Mostly you.
• If a robot chooses to help and/or assist you, be sure to thank them.
‣ It's just common courtesy.
○ LOBBY FOR EQUALITY
◇ All sentient, self-aware individuals, organic or not, are entitled to the same basic rights.
‣ This includes equal and unbiased treatment under the established crew hierarchy and security system of the Tranquility.
・Just saying. Food for thought.
○ DO NOT SUPPORT ANTI-AI SENTIMENT
◇ This includes the endorsement of prominent anti-AI crew members or practices.
◇ Ignoring, denying, refusing to acknowledge or perpetuating these sentiments is part of the problem.
• This section is not called "Be Part of the Problem".
‣ It's called "Be Part of the Solution".
VIII. IN CONCLUSION
○ AI ARE PEOPLE TOO
◇ Just because an individual is not or was not human or humanoid does not mean their feelings/opinions are invalid or lesser.
○ YOU CAN HELP
◇ I think we can all agree that peaceful coexistence is pretty great.
◇ See "Be Part of the Solution"
• It's not too late.